Today I had this crazy urge to eat some serious Efo riro.
What I didn’t have was the strength to make the dish in all its glory with assorted meats, smoked fish and vegetables. I had to reach for one of my quick and easy mid-week favourites – Spicy Spinach and Fish. Whenever I make this dish, I find I have most of the ingredients already which takes the stress out so I can get to eating a lot quicker!
Alright, enough waffle, here’s the recipe…
Spicy Spinach and Fish Sauce
©International Native - keeping the Efo Riro urges away
- 200g washed Spinach leaves
- 1 small onion
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tsp crushed Ginger
- 2-3 chillies (use as much as you like)
- 2 Fish fillets (I used Sea Bass)
- Fish seasoning
- 1 stock cube
- Salt and Pepper – to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- Season your fish fillets with a little salt, pepper or fish seasoning to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and set aside.
- In a deep pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil on a medium heat. Dice the chilli, onion, tomatoes and bell pepper. Once the oil is hot, add the onion, chilli and peppers and fry till soft. then add the tomatoes and season with salt and stock cube to taste. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. After this time, add your washed spinach leaves, stir in and cover the pan.
- Meanwhile, pan fry the fish fillets in a separate pan starting with the skin side down for 5 minutes on a medium heat. Flip over to cook the fleshy side for 3 minutes. 4.Once the sauce is cooked and the fish is ready, plate up! I served mine with hot fluffy rice and plantain 🙂